Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Bowl Names

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thinks that bowl names are getting totally out of hand. Here's a quick list, from ESPN, of some of the bowls on tap for us over the next month:

- San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl - Utah v. Navy
- R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - Memphis v. Florida Atlantic
- Meineke Car Care Bowl - UConn v. Wake Forest
- Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl - Cal v. Air Force (at least this one features cool equipment)
- Roady's Humanitarian Bowl - Georgia Tech v. Fresno State
- Papajohns.com Bowl - Southern Miss v. Cincinnati

My favorite one, however, involves my wife's alma mater (Oregon) - the Brut Sun Bowl. Honestly, who can play football with the constant smell of an old dude lingering in the air (apologies to Brut users)?

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for sponsorship. However, this is absurd. The football isn't even that bad in 90% of these games...but the names cheapen the whole thing.

I'm boycotting...except for CU. Go Buffs...

No comments: